Spicy Salmon with Caramelized Onions and Sriracha Dill Sauce

By on January 7, 2014

I’ve been trying lately to liven up my salmon recipes. Earlier this year I wrote about my usual go-to salmon recipe with miso paste and veggies. It’s a hit at parties and always satisfying to tummies. But there’s only so many times that you can eat the same recipe without saying to yourself, “It’s time for a change.” So I started to rack my brain for what I could do next. Sweet salmon makes me roll my eyes (teriyaki style? Please.). And simply grilling a naked salmon makes me cringe in horror. And then it hit me. I’m the spice queen amongst my friends and family; There’s no level of heat I can’t take. How could I not see it before?! Spicy salmon! Now, I’m not sure if many of you have heard but recently the Sriracha hot sauce factory announced they would be temporarily closing their factory. When I heard this I was instantly reminded of the Wonka factory and how maybe in the future the doors will reopen with Golden Tickets in the bottles. But that’s a fantasy we won’t delve into just now. So I rushed to the store and bought as many bottles as I could…okay that’s a little dramatic. I bought three. I mean come on, it’s Sriracha. But I started to form my recipe for spicy salmon slowly but surely with one bottle of that blood red sauce (morbid organ music cue).

So I had the Sriracha next to me in the kitchen and after several minutes of thinking I decided that a nice Sriracha cream sauce would be a new twist to that delicious fish. So I searched online for several recipes that involved Sriracha cream sauces and I found a basic recipe that would be easy for me to add onto. N0w when I usually make salmon, I add a splash of dill to give it a nice tangy taste. So I asked myself, “Why not add it to the sauce??” Which is exactly what I did. Now this dish is a bit of a mixed basket of deliciousness. I’ve taken bits and pieces of different recipes to make one phenomenal dinner entree and I think you will really enjoy it, reader. But remember, it says in the title SPICY salmon. So don’t make this recipe thinking it’s going to be dull.

Spicy Salmon with caramelized onions and sriracha dill sauce

What You’ll Need

For Salmon

• ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
  • salt
  • olive oil
  • salmon fillet (about 6 ounces will do)
  • 1/4 cup minced sweet onions

For the Sauce

• 1 6-ounce container of plain Greek yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons dill
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
  • ground pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons of Sriracha hot sauce

First, combine your pepper, paprika, cayenne, Dijon mustard, garlic, brown sugar, onion powder, and salt in a small bowl and mix together until thoroughly combined. Stir in one tablespoon of olive oil so you form a smooth paste. This will be the marinade we place our salmon in over night. Spread the marinade all over your filets and cover with aluminum foil or seran wrap. Place in the refrigerator overnight OR keep at room temperature for 1 hour. While your filets are absorbing all of that flavor, take some more olive oil and drizzle in a pan on medium low heat. Stir in your onions and cook them until they’re golden brown and caramelized (this should take about 15 minutes). When the onions are done and your salmon is done marinading, take a separate skillet and add some more olive oil. Cook your salmon fillets in the olive oil until cooked all the way through. Transfer them to a plate and top with the caramelized onions.

For the sauce, mix all of your sauce ingredients together until desired flavor is reached. Pour the sauce on top of the salmon filets and enjoy. I promise you this dish is bound to satisfy you and your dinner guests. But make sure you have a glass of water near by. Happy Eating!