- Kaleidoscope wins honors; website named ‘Best In South’
- 2014 Oscar Recap
- Student Government elections are nearing…
- Women’s Softball drops 5-0 game to ‘Bama (Photos)
- Foot Soldier of the Children’s March
- UAB Women’s Basketball beats Tulane 81-79 (Photos)
- Three Days to Kill
- Blood Drives fill calendars at UAB hospitals in February
- UAB Womens Basketball Grab a big win against Louisiana Tech, 71-62
- #UABProbs — How to make green grass
- Regionals Science Olympiad (Photos)
- The Monuments Men
- UAB Builds New Residential Hall
- Classes, operations delayed Thursday until 11 a.m.
- Bedsider UAB Promotes Safe Sex
UAB suspends class, clinics another day on Thursday due icy blast (Updated)
BREAKING NEWS — UAB has extended the cancellation of classes and normal operations through Thursday, January 30.
UAB clinics will also be closed Thursday. UAB Hospital will remain open, according to an update from UAB/s emergency management team.
Travel conditions in and around the Birmingham metro remained hazardous, and subfreezing temperatures forecast until Thursday afternoon will increase the likelihood for patches of “black” ice that can make driving treacherous.
The university issued the following email Wednesday:
“Staff and non-resident students still stranded on-campus may continue to seek shelter at the Campus Recreation Center and food at the Dining Commons. The Campus Recreation Center will remain open overnight as a temporary shelter for UAB employees and non-resident students.
“For those in need of immediate medical assistance, UAB emergency rooms remain open. For those in need of refilling essential, life-sustaining prescriptions, we have arranged for Jennifer Peterson, Director of Pharmacy Services at TKC, to personally assist. Her pager number is 8169 (dial 7# on internal UAB phone and follow prompts). Please only use pager for critical needs as pharmacy is overwhelmed filling prescriptions already. For those seeking assistance getting to TKC, please call UAB Police dispatcher at 4-4434 for assistance.”
According to a UAB email distributed Tuesday: ”We will maintain heat and electricity at daytime levels in UAB buildings throughout overnight hours. The Campus Recreation Center will remain open for all staff and students seeking shelter, warmth, and/or showing facilities.
Classes were cancelled Tuesday at noon when the winter storm front stalled over the city and snow began accumulating at a faster clip than originally forecast.
Look back to UABkscope.com for updates. Send your snow pictures as attachments to email@example.com.
For tips on staying safe through snow storm Leon visit: