- Students use alternative art materials for one-night-only exhibition June 18
- Digital Media wins national prize for TEDxBirmingham video
- Trip to New York brings national attention to Birmingham renaissance
- Clothes that work for new grads hitting the market
- Hagel emphasizes leadership to Naval Academy graduates
- Birmingham Chosen To Host 2015 C-USA Basketball Championships
- On The Money: How new graduates can take on the job market
- Canvas unrolled for new school year
- Tornadoes Leave Trail of Devastation (Photos)
- Campus closes early Tuesday due to severe thunderstorm
- Alabama does a double take: ‘Urinetown: the Musical’ hits home twice
- A+ Performance by Legend
- UAB Women’s Softball defeat Charlotte 49ers (8-0)
- A Fun and Fluffy Study Break In Lister Hill
- UAB Earth Month Festival
Writer’s Series welcomed Robert Collins
UAB kicked off its Writer’s Series for the new year on Wednesday, January 22 with Robert Collins. The reading took place at Hulsey Recital Hall and included readings from Collins’ most recent book of poetry, “Naming the Dead” and his new manuscript; a Q- and-A session where audience members could engage with Collins about the poetry and the writing process; and a book signing, where students and guests could purchase “Naming the Dead” and have further discussion.
Collins, a New Jersey native, received his M.A. and Ph.D. from Ohio State University. During his time at Ohio State, he was awarded two Academy of American Poets Prizes. Later, in 1993 and 1998, Collins received Individual Artists Fellowships from the Alabama State Council. Collins has also won the Tennessee Chapbook Prize and Ascent Award for Poetry.
During his time as a UAB professor, Collins taught American Literature and directed the creative writing programs. Collins is the one of the founders and former editors of “Birmingham Poetry Review,” which is still funded by the UAB English Department and School of Arts and Sciences.
Collins’ next Birmingham reading will take place on April 9, as part of the Red Mountain Reading Series at Jefferson State College.
The 2013-2014 UAB Writer’s Series will conclude with poet Michael Sowder on February 12 and novelist Margaret Wrinkle on March 12. Both readings will take place at Hulsey Recital Hall at 6:00pm. The events are free and open to the public and will include a reading, Q- and A- session and book signing. Information on the Writer’s Series and other events held by the English Department, visit http://www.uab.edu/cas/english/events/
For more information on Robert Collins, visit his website, where information on books, events, and contact information can be found.
For more information on Birmingham Poetry Review, visit Facebook or birminghampoetryreview.org.
Photos by Amber Gomez