- Students use alternative art materials for one-night-only exhibition June 18
- Digital Media wins national prize for TEDxBirmingham video
- Trip to New York brings national attention to Birmingham renaissance
- Clothes that work for new grads hitting the market
- Hagel emphasizes leadership to Naval Academy graduates
- Birmingham Chosen To Host 2015 C-USA Basketball Championships
- On The Money: How new graduates can take on the job market
- Canvas unrolled for new school year
- Tornadoes Leave Trail of Devastation (Photos)
- Campus closes early Tuesday due to severe thunderstorm
- Alabama does a double take: ‘Urinetown: the Musical’ hits home twice
- A+ Performance by Legend
- UAB Women’s Softball defeat Charlotte 49ers (8-0)
- A Fun and Fluffy Study Break In Lister Hill
- UAB Earth Month Festival
10 reasons to spend Valentine’s Day at UAB
10 reasons to spend Valentine’s Day with UAB
You can do the usual. Or you can celebrate the day of love by serving others, expanding your mind, creating or enjoying art in all forms, cheering on our team and indulging all your good senses.
All. Day. Long.
1) Suit someone else.
Women are helping women go places with donations of gently used, work-appropriate clothing and accessories for Suits 4 Success, sponsored by the UAB Commission on the Status of Women. Drop yours off 6:30-10 a.m. Feb. 10-14 at the Whitaker Building or in boxes throughout campus.
2) It’s written in the stars.
UAB professor and former Space Shuttle Payload Specialist Larry Delucas, O.D., will explore the connection between NASA and Entrepreneurialism at 7:15 a.m. during the UAB MBA Alumni Chapter Breakfast & Speaker Series. RSVP by Feb. 10 to email@example.com.
3) It’s a pop-portunity of a lifetime.
See the new lady, AEIVA, and join printmaker Michael Tabie for a pop-up art studio and help print a commissioned silkscreen celebrating Birmingham. Stop by, check out the progress and pull a print 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Feb. 14-15. Free and open to the public.
4) See fast women.
Graduate student Elinor Kirk — one of the most prolific runners in UAB history — set new UAB records in the 3,000-meter run and 1-mile run earlier this season. See her and UAB Women’s Track Team compete in Cupid’s Classic at Birmingham CrossPlex all day.
5) Find the one for you.
Campus-Community Speed Matching: it’s like speed dating, but for community service. Have a free lunch at 11:45 a.m. Meet a nice community organization from noon-1 p.m. Hear them pitch their best projects in five-minute intervals and make a match.
6) Valentines are waiting.
Order a Chocolate Lover’s Basket or Valentine’s Cookie Cake by phone or email firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 p.m. Feb. 10 and pick them up Feb. 13-14. Nothing says “I love UAB” like supporting student scholarships.
7) Home plate is where the heart is.
Two admissions for the price of one when UAB Baseball opens its 2014 season at 4 p.m. in Regions Field against University of Tennessee-Martin. Every inning brings a chance to win a free dinner giveaway.
8) You look good in those genes.
Law Professor Paul Lombardo, Ph.D., J.D., of Georgia State University, will examine eugenic’s peculiar and lasting appeal during the 35th annual Reynolds Historical Lecture at 4 p.m. in Volker Hall Lecture Room E. Free and open to the public.
9) What a way to go out.
Indulge in the Death by Chocolate dessert bar with the all-you-care-to-eat service. Or treat yourself to a full-service, sit-down Italian meal that includes an appetizer, soup, salad, entrée, sides and dessert 4-8 p.m. in the Commons on the Green for only $15.99.
10) Give in to the blues.
Spend an unforgettable night with legendary rock/blues heavyweight Robert Cray in UAB’s Alys Stephens Performing Arts Center. Show starts at 8 p.m. Get your tickets now.