- A Fun and Fluffy Study Break In Lister Hill
- The Grand Budapest Hotel
- First African-American faculty member speaks at UAB
- UAB Relay for Life All-Night Event on the Green Starts Friday
- The Nile Project to be in residence at UAB’s Alys Stephens Center in 2015
- Libertarian Gary Johnson joins Tuesday panel for Earth Month
- Jalapeno Popper Pull Apart Bread
- Women’s Softball vs Tulsa a rain victim
- UAB, UAH student groups to host sustainability debate
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- UAB Celebrates Earth Month
- Cellular Stress May Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease
- Blazers Defeat Gamecocks
- Study War No More
- 2014-2015 UAB USGA General Election Results
Alys Stephens Center presents The Robert Cray Band on Feb. 14
The Robert Cray Band will perform live in concert Friday, Feb. 14, presented by the University of Alabama at Birmingham’s Alys Stephens Performing Arts Center.
Spend Valentine’s Day with the ASC and legendary rock/blues heavyweight Robert Cray for an unforgettable night of music. Known for blazing live performances, Cray is one of the greatest guitarists of his generation. His last visit to the ASC in 2012 brought down the house with his scorching blues guitar performance. With five Grammy awards, 15 nominations, millions of record sales worldwide and thousands of sold-out performances under his belt, this incredible artist shows no signs of slowing down. In fact, Cray’s career and artistry seem to be reaching new heights. Recently inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame at the age of 57, he is one of the youngest living legends to receive the prestigious honor.
Rolling Stone magazine, in its April 2011 issue, credited Cray with reinventing the blues with his “distinct razor sharp guitar playing” that “introduced a new generation of mainstream rock fans to the language and form of the blues” with the release of his “Strong Persuader” album in 1986. Since then, Cray has gone on to record 15 Billboard-charting studio albums and has written or performed with everyone from Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan to Bonnie Raitt and John Lee Hooker.
Coming off the hot ticket of Eric Clapton’s Crossroads Guitar Festival and the accompanying film, which combined the greatest guitarists of this generation, Cray’s new tour showcases his barrier-busting repertoire. Guitarist magazine voted Cray’s latest CD, “Nothin But Love,” released in August 2012, as Album of the Year. The 10-song stand includes material from all four Robert Cray Band members: Cray (vocals/guitar), Jim Pugh (keyboards), Richard Cousins (bass) and Tony Braunagel (drums); it blends blues, rock, soul and jazz with a lyric sheet that examines the triumphs, fallouts and follies of life and love.
The Robert Cray Band will perform at 8 p.m. in UAB’s Alys Stephens Performing Arts Center, 1200 10th Ave. South. Tickets are $57.50, $48.50 and $39.50. For tickets, call 205-975-2787 or visit www.AlysStephens.org.