College Dating: Out with Relationships and In with the Hook-ups?

By on February 7, 2014
sexualhealth

Today’s trend in dating is not actual relationship building, but hanging out and sharing intimacy sporadically without commitment or emotional entanglement whatsoever; in other words, “hooking up.” The reasoning behind this is that, there is more time to focus on the important aspects of college—grades, leadership positions, internships, jobs, and test prep, and less wasted time or energy on unimportant relationships with people you may never talk to again within the year.

“A relationship is like taking a four-credit class. I could get in a relationship, or I could finish my film,” said sociologist focused in young women’s sexuality at the University of Michigan, Elizabeth A. Armstrong.

This new style of dating is pursued by both females and males. These practices brought a whole new connotation for gender equality—one in which men are not the only ones throwing one night stands, preferring the short-term over the long term, or playing friends with benefits in the game of dating.

I congratulate and commend my fellow females on leveling the romantic playing field because they truly show not only how men and women can equally call the shots in any form of dating today, but because they have shown another side to the different varieties of the many human desires of this world-specifically in regards to dating. That being said, all the different styles of dating should be respected without judgment because everyone has their own preference on how to do so. An unfortunate side effect of this new trend is an inherently negative view of the traditional dating way of our parents and the “MRS. Degree.”

Going to college with the idea of getting married isn’t something that should be looked down upon. When packing for college, my parents and neighbors told me that this is the place I would find my fiancee and that they’d be waiting for their wedding invitations on the day of graduation. A lot of young adults were raised in this manner and it is actually the common belief of many traditionally based religions to marry in their 20s. And interestingly enough, I have several friends here happily married and making an impact in the world today.

We should not judge people or have negativity towards people based on how they go about their personal relationship, in either traditional or modern dating methods. People should be able to do date who they want, how they want, and when they want according to whatever cultural standard. We live in a society of equality all around which means if today’s people cannot judge others on the color of their skin, gender, or sexuality, then we should most definitely not judge them on their dating methods either.