Crispy Spicy Fried Chicken

By on February 22, 2014
By Michelle Love, Staff Writer; Art by Daniel Twieg/Photo Editor

It’s time to fess up, readers. It’s time to look ourselves in the eye and admit to our guilt. Our food guilt, that is. See what I did there? Yes, readers. I’m talking about our guilty pleasure food. Everyone has one and EVERYONE indulges in it. There’s always that one dish that you know deep down in your heart of hearts that you shouldn’t eat it, but you’re so swept up in the romance between you and this dish you tell Jiminy Cricket to take a flying leap.

You know the feeling: as you reach for your guilty pleasure you repeat to yourself, “I shouldn’t! I really shouldn’t!” But before you know it, your plate is clean and you feel like you need to take a shower. But you don’t care. You don’t care because you just had an out of body experience eating this deliciously naughty food and you’ll eat healthier tomorrow, right? I, for example, have many guilty pleasures. They usually consist of greasy, fatty foods that taste like Heaven and give you the biggest food baby you’ve ever seen. One of my guilty pleasures is fried chicken.

Fried chicken is a bit of a celebrity in the South. It makes frequent appearances as picnics, bridal/baby showers, and parties alike. It satisfies our hungry tummies and sits on a pedestal in the world of comfort food. Whether it’s Grandma’s secret recipe made with love or a bucket from the Colonel, fried chicken is definitely a must have in your recipe stash.

Now, I don’t recommend fried chicken as a regular meal. Considering it has all of the three F-words: 1)fried, 2) fatty, 3) frickin’ fantastic (shame on you if you thought anything else!), fried chicken is something that should only be a once in a blue moon treat. But just because you don’t eat fried chicken often does not excuse shoddy chicken recipes. Here’s a lovely recipe that I found at cookingrecipecentral.com that will give you a great fried chicken experience.

What You’ll Need

• 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 cup of hot sauce (I love my Cholula)
  • 4 cups of flour
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
  • 1 quart of buttermilk
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • garlic powder
  • 8 pieces of chicken
  • peanut oil

First, marinade the chicken. When I was first learning to cook I would get so frustrated when my chicken would come out flavorless and dry. I now know that marinading or brining your chicken before hand ensures a juicy and flavorful chicken. Take your chicken and place the pieces in a bowl. Cover the chicken with buttermilk and refrigerate covered over night.

When the chicken is done marinading, take a small bowl and combine your eggs, water, and hot sauce and whisk until mixed completely. While we complete our upcoming steps we want our oil to be heating up for the frying process. Take your peanut oil and heat to 350 degrees in a cast iron skillet or a regular fryer if you have one.

Next,  in a large gallon freezer bag combine flour, pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper and mix thoroughly. Remove your chicken from the buttermilk and season generously with salt and pepper and garlic powder. Take your chicken and place it in the bag with the flour mixture and shake until the chicken pieces are all coated. Then take your pieces and individually dip them in the egg mixture. Repeat this process twice ending with the flour mixture. Drop each piece of chicken into the oil and cook for fifteen minutes or until crispy and golden brown.

This recipe is delicious and will definitely satisfy your guilty pleasure fix. Happy Eating!