DIY: Game of Thrones Table

By on February 28, 2014
Finished map secured with Mod Podge

Winter is coming. And by winter, I mean the fourth season of Game of Thrones! Are you as excited as I am? If you are, then you’re going to love this project. It’s easy, it’s fun, and all you need are a couple of items: primer/paint, Mod Podge (in gloss), and a printer.

First, I prepared the table for painting. I removed the handle, the door, and the hinges and set them aside and then lightly sanded the table. What I didn’t do was use a primer, and I will probably regret that at some point in the future. If you don’t want to pay for a primer as well as a couple of cans of paint, then try to find a 2-in-1 primer and paint.

I spray painted the hinges and the handle with gold paint in a matter of seconds. However, the table and the door took several coats of paint to get full coverage. I let everything dry overnight and put the table back together the next morning.

The map, which I found on Google Images, was simple enough to divide into four parts using a photo editing software. If you don’t have Photoshop or something similar, you can use the crop tool in Microsoft Word. I printed the images out on construction paper because regular printer paper is probably too lightweight to stand up to the dampness of the Mod Podge.

Before putting down any adhesive, I made sure the pieces of the map would match up properly. I temporarily secured the sheets with tape. TIP: To prevent the tape from ruining the paper, stick it to the back of your hand a couple of times to remove most of its stickiness.

Once I had the pieces put together, I set it aside and used a foam brush to apply Mod Podge all over the top of the table. I carefully placed the pieces down on the Mod Podge and then carefully picked it back up and carefully put it back down. This took a couple of tries to get the edges of the paper lined up neatly with the edges of the table. I do wish I had taken a trip to Kinko’s and had one large sheet printed out. But that’s just the perfectionist in me; it’s really not a major issue.

Once the map was secured in place, I removed the tape and brushed a thin layer of Mod Podge on top. This may move the ink a little and make it look slightly discolored in a couple of spots, but it’s just enough to make the map look a little aged instead of damaged; and that was the look I was hoping to achieve. After about 20 minutes or so, I applied a final layer of Mod Podge to seal the map and give it a glossy finish which protects the paper from further damage.

Total price: $3.25