Moist and Juicy Meatloaf

By on February 19, 2014
By Michelle Love, Staff Writer; Art by Daniel Twieg/Photo Editor

Readers, I’m going to be honest with you. It’s hard to keep coming up with recipes to write about week after week. Some days are better than others but after a while there are only so many recipes you can write about. I look for inspiration everywhere. In my lunch, on television, in movies. I look everywhere for interesting recipes to write about. I’m thinking of you, readers! No one wants boring recipes to try. One of my best modes of inspiration is Anthony Bourdain. Now for those few of you who don’t know who Anthony Bourdain is, he is the epitome of a laid back chef. He travels all over the world to different countries eating their local cuisine and drinking their booze (and occasionally partaking in some less than legal substances). He’s written numerous books and has had several television shows and is one of my idols in the culinary world mainly because he isn’t afraid to speak his mind.

Anthony’s newest show is called “The Taste” and it’s on ABC and it has become my newest obsession. It is a competitive reality show where chefs from all over the country come and prepare one bite of a dish for Anthony and three other world class chefs. The winner is chosen solely based on the one bite and the hitch is the judges have no clue who made the food. It’s the best cooking show on television right now and I find that it gives me very inspiring ideas to grow on and improve. This past week I was eating my weekly serving of frozen yogurt (the Precious, as I like to call it) and watching “The Taste” while simultaneously thinking about what I was going to write for my next article when it suddenly appeared on my television screen: meatloaf (the food not the singer, although it did inspire me to play the Rocky Horror soundtrack while I cooked).

Meatloaf has always been a staple in my house. There was a whole three weeks straight where I ate meatloaf for one meal or another. I must admit that I felt silly when I saw the delicious dish in front of my face. I’ve been racking my brain for unique and creative ideas to write about when sometimes it’s the simple and traditional dishes that make a great meal.

What You’ll Need

• 1 1/2 pounds of lean ground beef
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup of chopped yellow onion
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup parsley flakes
  • 2/3 cup your favorite marinara sauce
  • 1 1/3 cups bread crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • salt and pepper to taste

First preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine your ingredients and mix thoroughly together with your hands (you really gotta get in there). Shape the beef into a loaf and place on a baking dish. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and then bake for 1 hour.

After the 1 hour is done, take the cover off of your dish and pour your favorite topping on top of the loaf (this could be ketchup or your favorite red sauce or simple tomato paste). Bake for an additional 10 minutes uncovered.

When the meatloaf is done, take the meatloaf out of the oven and let it sit for about ten minutes (this will ensure all of that juicy goodness). The only thing left to do is slice your favorite size piece and enjoy! This is my go-to meatloaf recipe and it is absolutely delicious. It’s full of flavor and adds a satisfying component to your meal. Happy Eating!