Shoop Claims 200th Win at UAB, 900th career victory over the weekend

By on February 21, 2014
Blazer Baseball

Brian Shoop picked up his 900win against Youngstown State in front of 664 fans in Region Field.  He ranks 21st amongst active coaches in career wins.

“You know it is a longevity thing,” Shoop said in an interview with UABsports.com. “It means you have been coaching for a long time. It means you have had really good players. It means you have really good assistant coaches. I probably get too much credit for the wins. Wins are a team and program award, not an individual award. I’m very aware of that.”

Number 900 comes one day after picking up his 200th victory at UAB.  After his 200th win he said about the milestone, “I actually didn’t even know that until after the game.  They were all shaking my hand and giving me the ball that is when I figured out what they were congratulating me for. Just means I’m getting old.”

Senior Ryan Prinzing said after Shoop picked up number 200, “It feels great. I love coach Shoop.  He is a great guy.  He makes you a better person. He makes you a better baseball player and work hard in the classroom. Im just very appreciative of everything he has done for me, giving me an opportunity to play here.  I could be happier for him.”

The Blazers swept Youngstown State over the weekend.  This marks the best start under Shoop for the Blazers as UAB now improves to 8-0.  “It’s a long season.  You know supper taste better after a win. So dinner will taste good tonight but then you go back to work… It may be a little bit good for the confidence but it is a long year.  We will quickly begin to focus on tomorrow.”

A year removed from not having a single series sweep, UAB has now started the season with two straight. Senior Ryan Prinzing said after Friday’s game, “It feels great, it feels good to be off to a hot start. We know there is another challenge tomorrow. You can’t get too high or too low with the losses.  You have to keep it even keel and play one pitch at a time.”

On Saturday pitcher Chase Mallard went 7 more innings of hitless ball to stretch his streak to 14 straight before allowing a hit in the eighth frame.

UAB will hit the road for their next game, taking on Samford before heading back to Regions Field for a series against Arkansas State.

Photos by Tripp Larsen and Daniel Twieg

Slideshow (JavaScript Required)

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Image Gallery