- Kaleidoscope wins honors; website named ‘Best In South’
- 2014 Oscar Recap
- Student Government elections are nearing…
- Women’s Softball drops 5-0 game to ‘Bama (Photos)
- Foot Soldier of the Children’s March
- UAB Women’s Basketball beats Tulane 81-79 (Photos)
- Three Days to Kill
- Blood Drives fill calendars at UAB hospitals in February
- UAB Womens Basketball Grab a big win against Louisiana Tech, 71-62
- #UABProbs — How to make green grass
- Regionals Science Olympiad (Photos)
- The Monuments Men
- UAB Builds New Residential Hall
- Classes, operations delayed Thursday until 11 a.m.
- Bedsider UAB Promotes Safe Sex
Softball team set to start the season
The UAB softball team will be heading to Mobile this week to for the first game of the 2014 season.
The Blazers which are ranked 21in the preseason poll will face tough competition this year. The preseason ranking marks the first time UAB has been given the early recognition in school history. The Blazers hope to continue the success as they have made the NCAA for the past four seasons and reached the Super Regional for the first time in program history before falling to Florida.
Right out of the gates UAB will take on South Alabama which is ranked one spot above them at 20. The game will kick off the Alabama Mardi Gras Tournament.
A year after placing 16th in the country and defeating UCLA in a 13 inning thriller, UAB is picked to finish first in Conference USA. UAB is the only team in C-USA that is ranked nationally. The Blazers edged out second place Tulsa by a few votes.
In addition to South Alabama, the Green and Gold will take on four other ranked opponents: number 2 Oklahoma, number 6 Alabama, number 18 Baylor and number 23 Georgia Bulldogs.
Conference USA will be no cake walk either as Tulsa acquired votes to but remain just outside the top 25.
The Blazers will be lead by two players that made C-USA preseason all conference team, senior pitcher Lannah Campbell, and sophomore infielder Caitlin Attfield.
The Lady Blazers will open their season in the Alabama Mardi Gras Tournament where they play South Alabama on Thursday, McNeese State on Friday, and double header on Saturday against Austin Peay and Syracuse.
After Mobile, UAB will head to Waco Texas to compete in the Getterman Classic.
The Lady Blazers will make their home debut against South Alabama on February 19th. After USA, the Blazers welcome rival Alabama on February 25th.