Top 10 Best Songs For a Valentine’s Day Mixtape

By on February 12, 2014
photo from Creative Commons

The mixtape – it’s not just an obsolete form of music exchange that was prominent in the 1990s. It’s one of the ultimate ways of expressing affection to a loved one.

According to Rob Sheffield, author of the book Love Is A Mixtape and contributing editor of Rolling Stone, mixtapes are appropriate for any occasion, but they are especially appropriate for wooing the object of one’s affection.

In an excerpt from his aforementioned book Love Is A Mixtape, Sheffield states: “If we’re talking about romance, cassettes wipe the floor with MP3s.”

While boxes of chocolates get eaten within hours, and flowers die after a few days, mixtapes last forever – provided they don’t get run over by an SUV or left out in the hot sun that warps the magnetic tape.

Modern technology makes it easy to burn CDs for people, but making mixtapes entails a much longer, more tedious process to get the songs onto the mix. This usually causes the mix-maker to carefully examine what tracks are included on the mix so that their efforts will be worthwhile.

So what exactly is it that makes songs worthy of being on a mixtape for the object of one’s affection? Local college students shared their thoughts about their own personal favorite love songs.

Brad Jenkins, a student at UAB with an affinity for both music and mixtapes, has a few choices of his own.

“‘The One I Love’ by R.E.M. is a simple, easy, and cliché one,” Jenkins said. “‘Here Comes Your Man’ by Pixies would possibly fit my tastes of making a mixtape for the person I love. Faith No More’s live Burt Bacharach cover of ‘This Guy’s In Love With You’ would make my list, too.”

“Oh, and ‘Lovefool’ by the Cardigans is a good choice,” he added. “I just listened to their album yesterday, which reminded me.”

For Chris Prosch, a sophomore at UAB, old-school love songs that span the ages are perfect for mixtapes.

“As a kid I loved the song ‘When A Man Loves A Woman’ by Percy Sledge,” Prosch said. “For some reason, I really loved that song, and I would always sing it to my mom when it came on the radio or when I heard it on a CD.”

“It’s just a cool love song talking about all the stuff he would do for the one he loves,” he added. “I think it would be good on a mixtape for someone you love.”

Genny Maxwell, a junior at UAB, prefers pop-punk songs with heart-melting lyrics.

“Shiny Toy Guns have a song called ‘Love Song’ that’s good,” Maxwell said. “And the song ‘Crush’d’ by Say Anything is pretty adorable. It has these really cute lyrics that would be perfect for a mix like that.”

She also likes traditional country songs that have lyrics about love.

“I really like ‘Fall To Pieces’ by Patsy Cline,” she said.

UAB freshman Bianica Brown is a fan of the song “For You I Will” by Monica.

“I believe that this song expresses feelings for others,” Brown said, “and it expresses the fact that there is no limit to the things you would do or how far that you would go for the other person.”

Shanae Walker, another freshman at UAB, thinks that “You Complete Me” by Keyshia Cole is a great choice.

“It talks about letting all your walls down,” Walker said, “and letting the other person know that no matter what, you’ll always be there for them. It’s about telling the other person, ‘This is me, I’m going to give you all I’ve got.’”

So, our hypothetical mixtape goes as follows:

1.“The One I Love” – R.E.M.

2.“Here Comes Your Man” – Pixies

3.“This Guy’s In Love With You” – Faith No More

4.“Lovefool” – Cardigans

5.“When A Man Loves A Woman” – Percy Sledge

6.“Love Song” – Shiny Toy Guns

7.“Crush’d” – Say Anything

8.“Fall To Pieces” – Patsy Cline

9.“For You I Will” – Monica

10.“You Complete Me” – Keyshia Cole

And there you have it – the top ten best love songs to put on a mixtape for the person you love, as deemed worthy by music-loving, mix-making college students.

Kayleigh Drake/Former Features Editor