- Students use alternative art materials for one-night-only exhibition June 18
- Digital Media wins national prize for TEDxBirmingham video
- Trip to New York brings national attention to Birmingham renaissance
- Clothes that work for new grads hitting the market
- Hagel emphasizes leadership to Naval Academy graduates
- Birmingham Chosen To Host 2015 C-USA Basketball Championships
- On The Money: How new graduates can take on the job market
- Canvas unrolled for new school year
- Tornadoes Leave Trail of Devastation (Photos)
- Campus closes early Tuesday due to severe thunderstorm
- Alabama does a double take: ‘Urinetown: the Musical’ hits home twice
- A+ Performance by Legend
- UAB Women’s Softball defeat Charlotte 49ers (8-0)
- A Fun and Fluffy Study Break In Lister Hill
- UAB Earth Month Festival
UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center to host ArtBLINK Gala 2014
Artists will create spectacular works of art in the blink of an eye during the UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center’s annual ArtBLINK Gala 2014 at 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 22, in The Kirklin Clinic, 2000 Sixth Ave. South.
Seventeen local artists will work with a variety of media to create masterpieces in 90 minutes that can be purchased during the silent auction. Funds from the Gala go toward the Cancer Center’s Fund for Excellence, which supports high-priority research efforts — whether for a specific project, launching young investigators in cancer research careers or recruitment of new faculty members. A percentage of the funds raised will also support patient and family assistance efforts.
“The Cancer Center thrives on the generosity of the community, and especially in these tight economic times when we feel the pinch of federal budget cuts, we rely even more on their support,” said Edward Partridge, M.D., director of the UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center. “Philanthropic support provides us with the critical seed money to investigate drugs and develop treatments that we can quickly and safely move to our patients.”
Participating artists are Thomas Andrew, Ahmad Austin, Nada Boner, David Boyd, Gary Chapman, Joan Curtis, Kate Merritt Davis, Vicki Denaburg, Randy Gachet, Lila Graves, Darius Hill, Carol Misner, David Nichols, Linda Ellen Price, Michael Swann, Paul Ware and Robine Wright.
As one of Birmingham’s premier events, the elegant evening will also feature a cocktail dinner provided by Kathy G. & Company and dancing to the sounds of The Rock Candy Band. Admission is $150 per individual and is available, along with additional information, via www.uab.edu/artblink or 205-934-0282. Dress is black-tie-optional. Valet and deck parking are available for guests.
Sponsors include Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP, Burr & Forman LLP, Edwards Chevrolet, Medical Properties Trust, Inc., Protective Life Corporation, and Regions Financial Corporation.