- UAB Girl’s Basketball Team Falls To Charlotte (Photos)
- UAB and Sexual Consent
- Blazers battle, fall to MTSU (Photos)
- UAB Blazers fall short to Rice Owls (Photos)
- A Tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Kaleidoscope wins honors; website named ‘Best In South’
- 2014 Oscar Recap
- Student Government elections are nearing…
- Women’s Softball drops 5-0 game to ‘Bama (Photos)
- Foot Soldier of the Children’s March
- UAB Women’s Basketball beats Tulane 81-79 (Photos)
- Three Days to Kill
- Blood Drives fill calendars at UAB hospitals in February
- UAB Womens Basketball Grab a big win against Louisiana Tech, 71-62
- #UABProbs — How to make green grass
UAB marks Heart Month with screenings, education events
February is the month of hearts – and not just the valentine kind.
Since 1963, February has been designated American Heart Month to raise awareness of the devastating effects of heart disease on Americans. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States. Nearly every 25 seconds, someone in the United States will have a coronary event, and one person every minute will die from one.
To help people learn about heart health, and to share the latest information that can save lives, UAB Heart and Vascular Services will kick off a series of Heart Month events at UAB Hospital on Friday, Feb. 7, with Wear Red Day – established to support the fight against heart disease in women.
Throughout the remainder of the month, there will be events and free screenings around campus and beyond. These include:
- 8 a.m.-2 p.m., Friday, Feb. 7: The Red Zone, celebrating National Wear Red Day with educational materials, giveaways and Heart Walk t-shirts for sale; The Kirklin Clinic, 2nd floor near elevators.
- 5:15-6:15 p.m., Tuesdays, Feb. 11, 18, 25: February Fitness workouts sponsored by UAB Hospital Health Club and UAB Wellness; West Pavilion 1st Floor Atrium
- 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Friday, Feb. 21: UAB Recreation Health Fair, featuring campus and community health vendors, screenings, assessments, chair massages, nutrition consultations and more; UAB Recreation Center, four-court gym area.
- 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 26: Vestavia Health Fair, featuring more than 50 vendors offering free information on staying healthy; New Merkle House (Cahaba Heights Senior Center), 4405 Dolly Ridge Road.
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 28: Green Screen Health Checks of weight and blood pressure provided by UAB Wellness and the UAB School of Nursing; North Pavilion, 2nd Floor Lobby.
For more information on UAB’s Heart Month activities, visit www.uabmedicine.org/heartmonth.