- UAB and Sexual Consent
- Men’s Basketball vs. Middle Tennessee 55-53 (Photos)
- UAB Blazers fall short to Rice Owls (Photos)
- A Tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Kaleidoscope wins honors; website named ‘Best In South’
- 2014 Oscar Recap
- Student Government elections are nearing…
- Women’s Softball drops 5-0 game to ‘Bama (Photos)
- Foot Soldier of the Children’s March
- UAB Women’s Basketball beats Tulane 81-79 (Photos)
- Three Days to Kill
- Blood Drives fill calendars at UAB hospitals in February
- UAB Womens Basketball Grab a big win against Louisiana Tech, 71-62
- #UABProbs — How to make green grass
- Regionals Science Olympiad (Photos)
UAB presents 12th annual Clarinet Symposium March 1-2
Clarinetists of all ages and abilities are invited to participate in the 12th annual Clarinet Symposium, presented by the University of Alabama at Birmingham Department of Music, on Saturday, March 1, and Sunday, March 2.
Associate Professor of Clarinet and Music Education Denise Gainey, DMA, leads the symposium, which will offer workshops, master classes, clarinet choir, recitals and clinics by some of the nation’s finest clarinetists. Special guest artists include Diane Barger, DMA, University of Nebraska-Lincoln; Lynn Musco, DMA, Stetson University; Shawn Copeland, DMA, Highpoint University; and Michael Rowlett, DMA, University of Mississippi.
Copeland will give a presentation on the Alexander Technique, “What Every Clarinetist Needs to Know about the Body.” Art’s Music Shop, Madison Band Supply, representing Backun Musical Services, and Rodriguez Musical Services will be on-site to provide participants with instruments, mouthpieces, barrels, reeds, music and more. Registration is $40; the deadline is Feb. 28. Participants may register online.
Two free, public performances will be offered. At 7 p.m. Saturday, March 1, the UAB Clarinet Symposium concert will take place in the Reynolds-Kirschbaum Recital Hall of UAB’s Alys Stephens Performing Arts Center, 950 13th St. South. At 2 p.m. Sunday, March 2, the UAB Clarinet Symposium final concert will be held in the Sirote Theatre of UAB’s Alys Stephens Performing Arts Center, 1200 10th Ave. South. Participants also will enjoy performances by Gainey, London Silas Shavers of Northwest Mississippi Community College, The Tosca Duo and The Atlanta Clarinet Ensemble. Call 205-934-7376. Visit the UAB Department of Music online at www.uab.edu/cas/music.