- Students use alternative art materials for one-night-only exhibition June 18
- Digital Media wins national prize for TEDxBirmingham video
- Trip to New York brings national attention to Birmingham renaissance
- Clothes that work for new grads hitting the market
- Hagel emphasizes leadership to Naval Academy graduates
- Birmingham Chosen To Host 2015 C-USA Basketball Championships
- On The Money: How new graduates can take on the job market
- Canvas unrolled for new school year
- Tornadoes Leave Trail of Devastation (Photos)
- Campus closes early Tuesday due to severe thunderstorm
- Alabama does a double take: ‘Urinetown: the Musical’ hits home twice
- A+ Performance by Legend
- UAB Women’s Softball defeat Charlotte 49ers (8-0)
- A Fun and Fluffy Study Break In Lister Hill
- UAB Earth Month Festival
UAB students, faculty win big at Birmingham American Advertising Awards
University of Alabama at Birmingham students and faculty were big winners at the Birmingham American Advertising Awards held at Regions Field Banquet Hall on Thursday, Feb. 6.
UAB Digital Media fellows and interns won the Gold Addy in the category of Integrated Campaigns for the TEDxBham promo. The student team includes Karla Khodanian, producer; Matt Drummond, videographer and editor; Kevin Peek, music composer; Daniel Twieg, videographer; Ryan Meyer, videographer and special effects; Brent Caswell, assistant videographer; Jared Jones, production assistant; Shannon Robinson, assistant videographer; and Sarah Witkowski, production assistant.
UAB Department of Art and Art History Professor of Graphic Design Erin Wright, MFA, won a Gold Addy in the Advertising for the Arts & Sciences category for his “50 Years: Civil Rights Movement” poster and a Silver Addy for his “Gender Equity” poster.
Assistant Professor of Graphic Design Doug Barrett and Cayenne Creative won the Gold Addy in Book Design and the Gold Addy in the POP or POS Materials (Other than Posters) category for “All Along the Way — Cahaba River Blueway Book.” Barrett and Cayenne Creative also won a Silver Addy in the Illustration Campaign category for “All Along the Way — Cahaba River Blueway Book” illustrations.
Student winners from the UAB Department of Art and Art History include:
• Ryan Meyer, Gold Addy for Sales Promotion, GO Urbanite Trail Mix
• Shannon Robinson, Gold Addy for Sales Promotion/Packaging, Hot Chocolate Bottles
• Jeanette N. Vasquez, Silver Addy for Integrated Campaigns, Moss Rock Festival Campaign
• Charles Carraway, art direction, and Leannya Long, editor, Silver Addy for Collateral Material-Brochure, UAB Department of Art and Art History brochure
• Miranda Hart, Gold Addy for Collateral Material Poster Campaign, Sloss Poster Series; Gold Addy for Collateral Materials/Book Design, Harley Davidson booklet; and Student Best of Show, Harley-Davidson booklet
• Maria Asenjo-Roberts, Silver Addy for Traditional Advertising, DinnerLAB booklet
• Betsy Cates, Silver Addy for Elements of Advertising/Logo, UAB Department of Art and Art History logo
• Ryan Meyer, Silver Addy for Collateral Material/Book Design, The White Stripes booklet
• Jeanette N. Vasques, Silver Addy for Elements of Advertising/Illustration, Hydroponic illustrations/infographics.
UAB’s strong showing at the Addy awards is a testament to the talent and resources students and faculty have at UAB, says Director of Digital Media and Learning Rosie O’Beirne.
“Some of UAB’s student work rivaled professional pieces,” she said. “I am so incredibly proud of UAB Digital Media’s student production team. We received very positive feedback from professional creatives at the event. I am confident that we are preparing our students for an industry that is increasingly digital and requires a collaborative, team-based approach to storytelling. Our students are excited to be recognized, and they are beginning to plan for what they would like to submit next year.”
The judges were Amy Feezor, freelance writer and creative strategy consultant; Cam Giblin, an art director at Havas Worldwide Chicago; and Jason Shipp, creative director at the MEplusYOU Agency in Dallas.