United States Gets First Luge Medal

By on February 17, 2014

The United States is competitive in most Winter Olympic sports. There is one event the United States has not even medaled in. This event has been around since 1964. A sport dominated by Germany, the United States has never been on the podium for singles luge. In Sochi, the 50 year drought of not medaling luge finally came to an end.

The United States has been very close to medaling but always took fourth. Courtney Zablocki finished fourth in the 2006 Torino games. Tony Benshoof also finished fourth in men’s luge in Tornio. Hamlin officially ended  the drought with medaling.

Luge changed in 2010 after the training accident to Republic of Georgia’s Nodar Kumaritashvili. After Kumaritashvili’s death, the officials lowered the starting point for luge. Erin Hamlin struggled with this new starting point. In Vancouver, due to the struggles at the starting point, Hamlin finished 16th.  After training for four years, she finished third place in Sochi.

On Tuesday, United States athlete, Erin Hamlin, received a bronze medal for women’s luge. She became the first American to metal in the event. She took bronze behind  two German athletes. Hamlin said, “”I’m stoke, who knew? I definitely pictured it. It was a big goal of mine. After (the 2010 Games) I was really disappointed, and I knew that’s not how I wanted my Olympic legacy to end. It was super-motivating.”