Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bites

By on March 7, 2014

Let me tell you a tale, readers. A tale of a secret ingredient so old and so magical that lately it has become one of the most popular ingredients used in modern cuisine. This magical secret ingredient is none other than quinoa. Quinoa is a type of grain that holds countless health benefits and even more recipe possibilities. It has been at the top of every list of super foods for years but it is just recently that this incredible grain has made it’s big debut. I first heard about quinoa on “Modern Family” a few months ago. A character said, “Your body literally burns calories while eating it.” Now even though I know this is impossible for any food to do, given the fact I was eating a slice of pizza when I was watching it, I was instantly intrigued.

So I took to the internet. As it turns out, when you Google “quinoa” you get thousands of results about this amazing little grain. It is full of dietary fiber, protein, magnesium, iron, and calcium. But not only is it good for you, it can be used as a substitute in almost every recipe. There really is nothing it can’t do. Needless to say, quinoa is the Meryl Streep of the grain world. Upon reading these mind blowing facts, I decided I needed to try and get some quinoa in my life. Now remember when I said that when you Google “quinoa” you get thousands of results? The same is true when you Google “quinoa recipes”. The choices are endless and it is really easy to get overwhelmed. So I decided to narrow my results by looking for recipes with keywords I like. I looked for “breakfast”, “lunch”, and “dinner” but those were just as vague as “quinoa recipes”. So I searched deeper. I finally struck gold with “quinoa and chicken”. I found a delicious recipe for buffalo chicken bites using quinoa on naturebox.com.

What You’ll Need

• 1 cup of cooked quinoa
  • 1 cup shredded chicken (make with your favorite chicken recipe…hopefully one I’ve given you. Hint hint)
  • 1/4 cup of goat cheese
  • 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup your favorite buffalo sauce
  • 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
  • 1 beaten large egg
  • 2 tablespoons of whole wheat flour
  • salt and pepper to taste

First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a mini muffin pan with nonstick spray (Bakers Joy for the win!) and set aside.

Next, take a bowl and combine all of your ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined. Take your batter and scoop small scoops into the muffin pan. Bake your bites for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown on the outside.

Now I know you’re all thinking that these can’t be nearly as good as I say, but they are. I promise you. The quinoa has a deliciously earthy taste that goes great with the chicken and compliments the cheese very well. Now seeing as I’m a bit of an oddball, I like to dip these in some extra buffalo sauce and then in some (don’t judge) ranch dressing. If this recipe interests you, I can guarantee that there are more recipes like it that will turn you onto the fabulous world of quinoa! Happy Eating and Happy Health!