DIY: Game of Thrones Coasters

By on March 18, 2014
IMGP1864

The “Game of Thrones” season premiere is getting closer and closer. To channel my excitement into something productive, I made these coasters to go along with the table makeover I did a couple of weeks ago. These were very inexpensive and a lot of fun to make.

Materials needed: ceramic coasters, sponge brush, Mod Podge, Mod Podge Clear Acrylic Sealer, felt or cork, and access to a printer

The first thing I did was measure the diameter of my coasters. When I found the images that I wanted to use, I resized them to the correct measurements and printed them out; I used construction paper because it’s a little heavier than regular printer paper and will hold up better to the dampness of the Mod Podge. I placed the coasters on the back of the images, used a pencil to lightly trace the shape of the coasters, and cut them out.

Using a sponge brush, I applied an even layer of Mod Podge onto the tops of the coasters and placed the pictures on top.

TIP: To avoid bubbles, press down on the paper and work your way out from the center.

After allowing the Mod Podge to dry, I sprayed each coaster with Mod Podge Clear Acrylic Sealer to protect the surface of the coasters and make them waterproof. Be sure to follow the instructions on the can for the initial and additional coats. Remember to use the sealer in a well-ventilated area.

Once everything was dry, the only thing left to do was glue on the backs of the coasters. Because the ceramic can scratch the surface of a table, I cut out some circles of felt and attached them to the bottoms of the coasters with Mod Podge. Felt was what I had on hand at the moment, but if you want a more professional look, you can also use cork and attach it with a little bit of E6000 for a strong bond.

And that was it! I now have these awesome house sigil coasters to go with my “Game of Thrones” table. Who are you rooting for to win the throne?

Total Cost: $5.58