- Students use alternative art materials for one-night-only exhibition June 18
- Digital Media wins national prize for TEDxBirmingham video
- Trip to New York brings national attention to Birmingham renaissance
- Clothes that work for new grads hitting the market
- Hagel emphasizes leadership to Naval Academy graduates
- Birmingham Chosen To Host 2015 C-USA Basketball Championships
- On The Money: How new graduates can take on the job market
- Canvas unrolled for new school year
- Tornadoes Leave Trail of Devastation (Photos)
- Campus closes early Tuesday due to severe thunderstorm
- Alabama does a double take: ‘Urinetown: the Musical’ hits home twice
- A+ Performance by Legend
- UAB Women’s Softball defeat Charlotte 49ers (8-0)
- A Fun and Fluffy Study Break In Lister Hill
- UAB Earth Month Festival
Former UAB engineering student of the Year named Engineer of the Year by ECB
Raymond Thompson, Ph.D., was named the Engineering Council of Birmingham’s Engineer of the Year at the organization’s 55th annual awards banquet.
Thompson earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the UAB School of Engineering. While he was a student at UAB, he won the Engineering Council of Birmingham’s Undergraduate Student of the Year and the Graduate Student of the Year awards. After completing his Ph.D. at Vanderbilt University, Thompson returned to UAB, where he taught engineering for nearly 20 years.
In 1998, Thompson founded Vista Engineering, a research, development and consulting firm specializing in materials design and application. In addition to managing Vista Engineering, Thompson also works as a consultant in materials science and engineering. He is a licensed professional engineer in four states, and is a fellow of the National Academy of Forensic Engineers, the American Society of Materials and the American Welding Society. He holds three patents and is the author of numerous papers and a book. Thompson is one of five siblings to receive degrees from UAB.
UAB undergraduate and graduate engineering students were also honored at the banquet. Kathryn Sheibley was named UAB’s Undergraduate Student Engineer of the Year, and Carrie Schindler was named Graduate Student of the Year. School of Engineering Dean Iwan Alexander, Ph.D., was on hand at the event to present the student awards.