- Students use alternative art materials for one-night-only exhibition June 18
- Digital Media wins national prize for TEDxBirmingham video
- Trip to New York brings national attention to Birmingham renaissance
- Clothes that work for new grads hitting the market
- Hagel emphasizes leadership to Naval Academy graduates
- Birmingham Chosen To Host 2015 C-USA Basketball Championships
- On The Money: How new graduates can take on the job market
- Canvas unrolled for new school year
- Tornadoes Leave Trail of Devastation (Photos)
- Campus closes early Tuesday due to severe thunderstorm
- Alabama does a double take: ‘Urinetown: the Musical’ hits home twice
- A+ Performance by Legend
- UAB Women’s Softball defeat Charlotte 49ers (8-0)
- A Fun and Fluffy Study Break In Lister Hill
- UAB Earth Month Festival
Multicultural & Diversity Programs Wants YOU.
The Office of Student Multicultural & Diversity Programs (SMDP) within Student Life is seeking new student leaders for the 2014-2015 academic term. Students may apply for available positions in the following programs:
The leaders for the Multicultural Council, International Mentors, and Blazer Male Excellence Network have been selected and will be announced soon.
The application deadline is March 21, 2014.
Free Food For Thought is a dialogue series that encourages community building that values diversity and that prompts participants to exchange viewpoints on selected topics, resulting in a greater awareness about issues and experiences across social and personal identities. The current series is focused on immigration.
Student dialogue facilitators are responsible for fostering respectful discussion that results in learning outcomes and common ground.
The SafeZone Program provides a visible network of trained individuals that serve as a safe space for LGBTQ identified students, faculty or staff. SafeZone Peer Educators are committed to providing an environment in which every student and university employee is free to thrive on an academic, professional and personal level within a community that is based on respect and dignity.
The selected students will also serve as a part of the leadership team for LGBTQ programming and trainings within the SMDP.
In addition, both open positions will be a part of the core diversity training group which conducts brief workshops with Freshman-Year-Experience Courses (FYE), and both positions will serve as members of the SMDP student leadership team.
Here are some of the requirements:
- Contact Information
- Professional Resume
- Minimum GPA of 2.5
- Must be a full time or part time undergraduate or graduate student at UAB
- Must have completed one term at UAB by the time of service – Fall 2014
- Must be available to serve a full academic year
- Complete all mandatory trainings
- Complete and adhere to the SMDP Student Leadership contract
- Attend all mandatory mentor events and activities
More information and the application are available on the official Selection 2014 page via uab.edu/diversity. ‘
For specific questions, contact Raphael Richard, Coordinator of SMDP, or stop by the office from 9 am—5 pm in the UAB Campus Recreation Center 190 (downstairs).