Potato Au Gratin

By on March 25, 2014

We live in a crazy mixed up world, readers. We live in a world that’s filled with a fish bowl of wonderful and terrible things. Technology has given us advancements in scientific research that we never thought possible yet it’s caused us to drift farther away from the people who are right next to us. People are becoming more open minded and accepting while simultaneously becoming more violent and cruel to each other. Literature is becoming more copy cat than movies and movies are copy catting these copy cat books (did you get all that?). But during all of this ongoing expansion and shrinking of the world’s many gifts, there is one thing that has remained constant in all its glory.

Potatoes. Potatoes (most commonly known amongst Hobbits as “po-tay-toes”) are one of the most amazing vegetables in the history of the world. And unless you’re a sad little creature named Gollum, you already knew that. I’m sorry, I watched “Lord of the Rings” today and it has stuck with me. But back to the subject at hand.

Potatoes are amazing little vegetables that you can make a million delicious dishes out of. I’m not joking! The possibilities are endless! They’re one of the few foods that you can use in literally every meal. Potatoes are also an excellent source of vitamin B6, potassium, and fiber. The only problem with potatoes lies in the fact that there ARE so many choices for you to choose from. I personally will take my potatoes any form or fashion. Doesn’t even matter what kind of potato. I will eat it if it has the label “potato” and it is on a plate. Don’t test me. I’ll do it.

I recently started working at Satterfield’s fine dining restaurant in Cahaba Heights and one of my favorite things on the menu is our duck fat mashed potatoes. It’s become a personal problem of mine to refuse myself this godly side dish at the end of the night. The reason I bring this up is to address the fact that most dishes with potatoes in them are insanely unhealthy for you. But don’t worry, reader! I said “most” not “all!”

One recipe that I’ve found can be edited to be more healthy is potato au gratin. Potato au gratin usually calls for lots of cheese and butter and other things that make us feel dirty for thinking about them. I luckily found a recipe that’s much healthier and cuts back on those dirty dirty birdies.

What You’ll Need

• 3 tablespoons of minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons of chopped onion or shallots
  • 2 cups of half and half (I didn’t say it was completely healthy)
  • 1 cup of grated Parmesan
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2-3 medium russet potatoes sliced into circles

First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking dish with cooking spray.

Next, mix all of your ingredients except for the potatoes and half a cup of the parmesan together in a bowl and set aside.

Next, layer your potato slices on top of each other in the baking the dish. Pour your half and half mixture over the potatoes and top with the remaining half cup of parmesan cheese. Bake the potatoes for 45 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden brown on top.

This dish is delicious and the perfect cheesey side dish to whatever entree you make for dinner. And a little advice, if you chop it up and mix it with eggs in the morning, it makes a great breakfast. Happy Eating!