- Students use alternative art materials for one-night-only exhibition June 18
- Digital Media wins national prize for TEDxBirmingham video
- Trip to New York brings national attention to Birmingham renaissance
- Clothes that work for new grads hitting the market
- Hagel emphasizes leadership to Naval Academy graduates
- Birmingham Chosen To Host 2015 C-USA Basketball Championships
- On The Money: How new graduates can take on the job market
- Canvas unrolled for new school year
- Tornadoes Leave Trail of Devastation (Photos)
- Campus closes early Tuesday due to severe thunderstorm
- Alabama does a double take: ‘Urinetown: the Musical’ hits home twice
- A+ Performance by Legend
- UAB Women’s Softball defeat Charlotte 49ers (8-0)
- A Fun and Fluffy Study Break In Lister Hill
- UAB Earth Month Festival
St. Patty’s Day Brownies
Well my friends, Valentine’s Day is long over. All of the store candy goes on sale for a dollar and getting a reservation at a restaurant has never been easier. Now that all of the pink is out of the world, we will move onto the green. Yep, that’s right. St. Patrick’s Day is coming up. Everyone loves St. Patrick’s day. It’s a time for happiness, partying, and dying things with green food coloring. Oh joy, the food coloring!
The biggest problem with St. Patrick’s Day is the huge amount of party invitations that come our way. Everyone uses St. Patrick’s Day as their “Well, I remember the past 364 nights; time to knock one out” night. It is one of the biggest party nights of the year and also one of the most dangerous. I would like to take this time to remind everyone to be safe whenever you go out to a party (any party!) but particularly on St. Patrick’s Day when everyone lets their inhibitions go and things get out of control. But just because you’re being safe doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy yourself. The best part about St. Patrick’s Day parties are the green treats that are served there.
I always try to mix up my St. Patrick’s Day party favors and lately I’ve found myself stumped. Believe it or not, some foods do not look good with green food coloring. However! I lucked out and found a delicious recipe that satisfies not only your sweet tooth, but your green thumb as well (I’m hilarious).
What You’ll Need
- 1 package of your favorite moist deluxe brownie mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) package of cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup Bailey’s Irish Cream (the alcohol doesn’t stay in the brownie so don’t worry! these brownies won’t get you tipsy)
- 1 egg
- green food coloring
First, prepare your brownie mix as instructed on the box and add your food coloring. Pour your batter into a baking pan but save one cup of the batter for later (and no this is not for you to nom on while baking!).
Next take a bowl and mix your cream cheese, flour, and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Then add your Bailey’s, egg, and food coloring (three drops makes a lighter color while more drops makes a darker, more intense green). Beat the mixture well until everything is combined.
Pour the cream cheese mixture over the brownie layer in the baking pan. Next, take your cup of brownie mix and drizzle it on top of the cream cheese. Take your knife and swirl the cream cheese and the excess brownie mix together so it makes a swirly pattern. This doesn’t do anything for flavor, it just makes it pretty.
Then bake your brownies according to the package directions on the brownie box.
These brownies are delicious, pretty, and make the perfect addiction-uh, I mean addition- to your St. Patty’s Day party. Happy Eating!