Blueberry Buttermilk Bread

By on April 4, 2014
By Michelle Love, Staff Writer; Art by Daniel Twieg/Photo Editor

I rarely write about desserts because as a rule I tend to stay away from them. I find that it’s easier to maintain a healthy food lifestyle when you just say no to those deliciously sweet indulgences. But sometimes, it’s okay to be bad. Sometimes you have a bad day.

Say your car gets totaled or your water gets shut off. On the days that you have such a bad day that you want to punch a hole in your wall, sometimes you just need to say yes. Because in the five minutes (seconds if you’re like me) it takes you to inhale that savory treat, it seems like all of your problems just melt away.

Now for me, I’ve always been a sucker for gooey breads: muffins, banana breads, pound cakes, etc. I find complete solace in the sticky gooeyness of those delicious treats and it not only helps me feel better, but it helps me calm down and rethink all of my day. Getting mauled by your cat while you clip his claws doesn’t seem so crappy when you have your end of the day treat.

To me, the best breads come from the thickest batter. The thicker the batter the more amazing the bread. When Bruno’s in Hoover used to be open, I would go nuts for their blueberry muffins. They were huge muffin tops with moist stumps and they had huge blueberries throughout the dough. They were my favorite breakfast, snack, and comfort food for so long.

Bruno’s has been closed for about five years now and I truly have missed those fabulous muffins. Some of you may remember that I wrote a recipe for blueberry muffins not too long ago. That recipe is still a favorite of mine but after a while, I wanted something new. I wanted that delicious blueberry muffin flavor with a new twist. I wanted something that challenged my palate and made me appreciate the flavor I once loved so much again.

I had just about given up when I found this recipe on Pinterest and it blew my mind and taste buds away. It’s the perfect consistency, the perfect flavor, and the perfect replacement for my long lost muffin loves.

What You’ll Need

• 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3 teaspoons of lemon zest
  • 3/4 cup of sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
  • 2 cups of flour (you need to set aside 1/4 cup of flour because we’ll toss the blueberries with it)
  • 2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 2 cups of fresh blueberries
  • 1/2 cup of buttermilk

First preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, cream the butter, sugar, and lemon zest together until light and fluffy. Then add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.

After that’s done, toss the blueberries in the 1/4 cup flour. Take the rest of the flour and combine it with the salt and baking powder.

Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter batter (say that three times fast) but alternate it with the buttermilk. That means little bit of flour-little bit of buttermilk-little bit of flour-etc.

When you’ve completed the combining of the buttermilk, flour, and butter batter, fold in the blueberries.

Take a baking pan (preferably 9 inch) and grease it with non-stick cooking spray. Spread the batter evenly into the pan and bake for 40 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.

This really does make the most satisfying gooey treat and it takes away all the pain from a bad day. It goes amazingly with milk and I’ll admit that it’s started to take the place of my brownie love, too. I’m sorry, brownies. But this bread is just too good.

Happy Eating!