Coach Clark discusses Blazer football

By on April 13, 2014
bill_clark_3

“I know what winning brings and I know what losing brings and I don’t like to lose,” new UAB head coach Bill Clark said.

Clark knows what it is like to turn a program around. He started a program with 16 guys on the roster at Prattville and built it into a national powerhouse with 106 wins and just 11 losses.

From there he went on to help start the program at the University of South Alabama as an assistant coach.

After just two seasons at the collegiate level, Jacksonville State offered him his first head coaching job.  After going 11-4, taking JSU to multiple school records and winning the first playoff game in school history, the son of two teachers is now molding young men as the UAB head coach.

“One of my biggest things is I always wanted to be somewhere where I can make a difference. It will take hard work and it is going to take everyone buying in,” he continued. “There are guys that want tradition but there are also guys who want to start something. That is what we are doing here.”

Fan support is slacking following three straight three-win seasons and two coaching changes.

“The students have to take some pride that this is their school.  We need them. We are just another part of the student body. They need to know how needed they are,” Coach Clark said when asked about the attendance.

There are still holes in the program with outdated facilities, lack of local support and the fact games are still played in Legion Field.

Clark understood the problems the program was facing when he took the job.

“I had a commitment that we would grow together.  We are getting a new locker room, a new turf field put in.  Those are things that are getting done now and of course down the road we want to get our own building which I think is going to happen.”

Missing those things can put a program at a disadvantage on multiple levels, but arguably the biggest is the damage it can do to recruiting.

“A player wants to know his coach is an expert. I want to know my coach has my best interest in heart,” Clark said about what his staff offers recruits. “We care about these guys.  We want to make them better citizens. We want to make them better men and along the way we want to win.”

Winning will need to happen sooner rather than later, but Rome wasn’t built in a day. Though, Clark says winning pieces are already in place.

One of the biggest on-the-field question is who the quarterback will be and the competition is still ongoing, but a junior college transfer may be earning a spot.

“I think right now Cody Clemets is in the lead.  The other guys are working really hard.  We have multiple guys coming in this summer and the competition will open back up.  I don’t agree with the opinion you can’t play multiple quarterbacks.”

The Blazers will be playing their annual spring game at West Campus Field on April 18 so fans can get a first-hand take on their new head coach and new look at the Blazers.