DIY: Refrigerator Magnets

By on April 8, 2014
IMGP1922

A great way to keep up with important reminders is to put them up on the fridge. It’s a tried and true method that’s probably as old as the refrigerator itself.

I’ve seen lots of tutorials for refrigerator magnets, and I wasn’t sure if they could really be so simple—and affordable—to make. So I decided to give them a try.

Materials and tools needed: decorative glass gems, pictures, Mod Podge, magnets, E6000 glue, a pencil, and scissors

First, I looked for photographs that I wanted to use and resized them as needed. After printing, I placed the images face down and used the gems as a tracing guide for cutting out the pictures.

I brushed a small amount of Mod Podge onto the flat back of each gem and pressed the pictures face down onto the glue.

Once the Mod Podge was dry, I put a small dab of E6000 onto the back of each picture and placed the magnets over the glue.

TIP: Use a brush or small disposable object to handle the glue; this prevents excess spills directly from the tube. E6000 is an industrial strength adhesive, so try to avoid skin contact and be sure to work in a well-ventilated area.

I purchased the bag of gems for $2 (at Dollar General), so the four used for this project cost only a few pennies each; and a set of eight magnets was a little under $2 (found at Walmart). This project cost me only a few dollars and only a few minutes.

It’s a fun little break from studying, but now it’s time to hit the books again.

Total Cost for 4 magnets: about $1.00