- Students use alternative art materials for one-night-only exhibition June 18
- Digital Media wins national prize for TEDxBirmingham video
- Trip to New York brings national attention to Birmingham renaissance
- Clothes that work for new grads hitting the market
- Hagel emphasizes leadership to Naval Academy graduates
- Birmingham Chosen To Host 2015 C-USA Basketball Championships
- On The Money: How new graduates can take on the job market
- Canvas unrolled for new school year
- Tornadoes Leave Trail of Devastation (Photos)
- Campus closes early Tuesday due to severe thunderstorm
- Alabama does a double take: ‘Urinetown: the Musical’ hits home twice
- A+ Performance by Legend
- UAB Women’s Softball defeat Charlotte 49ers (8-0)
- A Fun and Fluffy Study Break In Lister Hill
- UAB Earth Month Festival
UAB professor wins charity tennis tournament
Jane Roy, Ph.D., an associate professor of human studies in the UAB School of Education, won the 2014 Love-Love “Finish the Fight” Magic City Challenge that benefits the Robert E. Reed Gastrointestinal Oncology Research Foundation. Roy and her match partner, Valerie Lightfoot, scored first place in the tennis bout for charity.
She proudly represented UAB in the tournament to serve as a “sports/fitness role model” to the kinesiology students, she says, and to champion the foundation, which supports research programs led by Martin Heslin, M.D., who is professor of surgery at UAB and director of the Multidisciplinary Gastrointestinal Oncology Clinic at The Kirklin Clinic.
Roy, a native of Nottingham, England, came to the United States on a tennis scholarship. She went on to earn a master’s degree and doctorate in human performance at the University of Alabama. She is a member of the American College of Sports Medicine, National Strength and Conditioning Association, and American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance and is a certified ACSM health/fitness specialist, NSCA-certified strength and conditioning specialist, Aerobics and Fitness Association of America group exercise instructor, and United States Professional Tennis Registry professional tennis coach.