Feta and Artichoke Stuffed Peppers

By on May 15, 2014

Nobody ever said, “Switching to a healthy lifestyle is so easy!” And if they have, they’re liars.

The truth is, if you have spent your life eating everything under the sun, switching to healthier eating choices can seem like an impossible task. I’ve been trying to maintain a healthier diet for over a year and I still slip up occasionally.

The other day my boyfriend got to pick where we went for lunch. Where did he choose? Five Guys. Needless to say I stuffed my face with a double cheeseburger with bacon…oh so crispy bacon…

My point is that even if you slip up you should not feel bad about it! Summer has reached our lovely state and that means farmers markets will be popping up more and more around our lovely town.

My goal this summer is to use ingredients from local farmers markets to inspire you that healthy choices are literally just around the corner. Farmers markets are famous for having fresh veggies and fruits that are just begging to be used in a curry or a soup or even a sandwich.

You may be thinking that Walmart is just as good as your every day market and you have a point; your local grocery store is a great place to buy produce but when the opportunity arises you should definitely dive into the produce at a farmers market.

Lately I’ve developed a small obsession with peppers. They add a special taste (from spicy to sweet) and texture and I’ve been using them in all of my meals.

Not only are they delicious, they’re also super nutritious. Peppers are full of vitamins and are phenomenal for your skin (wanna have the complexion of a Disney princess? Eat your peppers!).

I’ve always loved vegetables and lately I’ve been eating them more and more. I have five packs of salad mix in my refrigerator right now and multiple jars of salad dressing. I even put two types of peppers on my salad (banana and roasted red).

My favorite vegetable ever since I was a little kid has always been artichokes, though. I love artichokes whether they’re on my salad or stuffed on a plate. Thanks to allrecipes.com I’ve found a recipe that combines these two amazing veggies so that I can keep up my healthy lifestyle and not crave those double cheeseburgers with that crispy bacon.

Oh and by the way, you can buy all of these ingredients at your local farmers market.

What You’ll Need

• 1/2 cup of brown rice
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • 4 chopped green onions
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1 jar of marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
  • 1 large diced tomato
  • salt and pepper
  • dried basil
  • red pepper flakes (to preferred spiciness)
  • 4 large red bell peppers with their tops and seeds removed
  • 8 teaspoons (or tablespoons if you want it more cheesy) of crumbled feta cheese

First preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Cook your rice according to package instructions.

Heat your olive oil in a skillet over medium low heat and cook your green onions and garlic until fragrant.

Add your artichoke hearts, tomato, and seasonings and cook or five minutes.

Slowly add the rice and remove from heat.

Sprinkle one teaspoon of feta into the bottoms of each pepper.

Spoon the rice mixture on top of the feta into each pepper and then top with the remaining feta.

Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 15 minutes.

I find that if you broil the peppers for ten minutes before hand, the peppers will be more tender after you bake them with the filling.

This recipe is delicious and really inspires you to stay healthy. Happy Eating!