Raspberry Peach Lemonade

By on June 5, 2014
By Michelle Love, Staff Writer; Art by Daniel Twieg/Photo Editor

Summertime in the south is full of many happy traditions. We break out the barbecues, clean out the pools, find that pair of shorts that make your legs look great (speaking for guys and girls), and we rummage the grocery store shelves for sunblock with the highest SPF. Because along with the fun and entertaining aspects of summer, summer also brings the unbearable sun. It isn’t that we don’t love you, sun! It’s that your presence beats us down on some days.

As the sun shown down upon me and I had the AC in my car on maximum, I started to think of what would be the most perfect way to cool down in this awful weather. It was when I stopped at a stop light that my questions were answered. There was the Homewood Farmer’s Market ahead of me and the first cart I saw bore a sign that said, “Chilton County Peaches.” Peaches! Of course! One of my most favorite fruits in the world would surely cool me off. I immediately Chinese firedrilled myself out of the car and bought a basket of these beautiful peaches.

As I drove home I ransacked my brain on what I could make with the peaches. Of course my brain immediately jumped to peach cobbler but I wanted to cool myself off, not feel hotter. Then I got a hankering. I got a hankering BAD. What for, you ask? Lemonade. Peach lemonade to be exact! Lemonade is the best during the summer! It has this delicious ability to make you feel refreshed and cool all at the same time! So as soon as I got home I jumped on the computer to find a great  recipe that involved fresh peaches. And thanks to www.damndelicious.net I found one.

Raspberry Peach Lemonade

What You’ll Need

1/4 cup of agave nectar

6 cups of water

6 ounces of fresh raspberries

3 medium peaches, sliced

1 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice

I would quickly like to take this time to remind all you readers to wash your farmers market fruits very very thoroughly before you ingest them.

First, in a medium saucepan combine one cup of water and the agave nectar over medium heat until the agave nectar is dissolved; this should take about 1 minute. Add your raspberries and peaches and simmer for about five minutes while stirring occasionally or until the raspberries have broken down. Next, take your raspberry and peach mixture and blend it into a blender until smooth. Let the mixture cool then strain through a cheese cloth (you can buy this at Wal-Mart or Williams Sonoma) into a pitcher. Combine the mixture with lemon juice and the remaining five cups of water. Then place the lemonade in the refrigerator until chilled and serve over ice. If you want to you can even mix in raspberries and peach slices into the glass to add an extra something. This lemonade is so delicious and satisfying and is sure to perfect your hot summer day. Happy Eating!