Chicken Fried Rice

By on July 21, 2014
By Michelle Love, Staff Writer; Art by Daniel Twieg/Photo Editor

I have written about Asian cuisine in the past, and  have had several people tell me how much they enjoyed making the recipes I provided. One person in particular told me they appreciated how inexpensive my recipe for pork dumplings was and, to this day, it saves them money whenever the urge for dumplings strikes.

I was so happy that I could help that I decided to write about something in the Chinese food genre again. I truly understand how Chinese food can burn a hole in your pocket. I myself have spent quite a few lunches and dinners at Chinese restaurants and later asked myself, “Where did my money go?”

It’s easy to blame restaurants like P.F. Chang’s who entice us with their delicious “gourmet” Chinese food that costs over ten dollars and their fancy, yet oh so yummy, drinks that blind us in our goals to save money.

Then again, we must accept some responsibility, don’t we? Because in reality, when we went out to a restaurant for food we could easily make at home for less than half the cost, we are the culprits. However, as I have said before, a lot of people think they cannot make food that is on par with restaurant quality entrees.

They think that it is cheaper and easier to go out and have someone make it for them when in reality, cooking at home is not only cheaper and easier, it is also healthier for you.

I remember when I was in high school there was a wonderful Chinese restaurant located down the road from the school. Students would walk down the hill to have a lunch that was not crappy cafeteria food.

All of us would get the same thing every day: chicken fried rice, dumplings, and an egg roll.

Like I said: way better than cafeteria food.

The chicken fried rice was the best part of the whole adventure, though. This place had the best chicken fried rice. It was full of flavor and fresh vegetables.

Since I’ve graduated, the restaurant has changed owners and is not nearly as good as it used to be, but I still cannot get the memory of that delicious fried rice out of my head.

Thanks to www.therecipecritic.com’s wonderful contribution to the culinary world, I can make chicken fried rice at home that is just as delicious as my head remembers, and you can too.

What You’ll Need

• 1 pound of chicken breasts
  • 3 cups of cooked white or brown rice
  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 1 small white onion chopped
  • 1 cup of small English peas
  • 1 cup diced carrots
  • 4 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten

First, cook your chicken according to your favorite recipe and shred it. Then, preheat a large skillet with the sesame oil on the bottom.

Add your onion, peas, and carrots and fry until tender.

Next, slide the veggies over to one side of the pan and then crack your eggs on the other side to scramble them. Once the scrambled eggs are cooked,  mix in the veggies.

Add your rice and chicken to the veggie/egg mixture and then pour the soy sauce on top. Stir-fry the rice and veggie mixture until thoroughly heated through.

Whenever I am feeling nostalgic I make this fried rice, and it takes me back to those days when we had to rush to class before the bell rang. It is a delicious Chinese dish that is easy on the wallet and thoroughly satisfies.

Happy eating!