Healthy Chicken Parmesan

By on July 29, 2014

Everyone knows the hunger dance.

It’s when several people argue over what they should have for dinner. It has been known to make or break relationships and alienate friends. It may become a vicious dance battle if no one can find something to agree on.

My friends and I were doing the hunger dance, and I suggested we eat Italian food. Most of my friends said “Nay” to this suggestion because they were trying to eat healthier.

While it is true that Italian cuisine is mostly those pesky carbs we try so hard to avoid, there’s no reason that healthier alternatives can’t exist.

So I started brainstorming for some healthier Italian options. What are some Italian dishes that don’t necessarily have to include carbs?

There were few options that came to mind, and I started to become discouraged. But then I realized I was thinking too broad. I made a list of proteins and looked at Italian dishes that involved these proteins, and I found many more results. I struck gold, particularly with chicken.

With chicken being one of the leanest meats around, I found several recipes that were centered around everyone’s favorite bird.

Chicken Parmesan excited my taste buds the most. I’ve always loved Chicken Parmesan, and finding a recipe that was low in calories and carbs made my day.

Thanks to www.skinnytaste.com, I can conquer the hunger dance and enjoy a delicious Italian meal without feeling guilty.

What You’ll need:

• 4 chicken breasts, fat trimmed and sliced in halves to make eight
  • 3/4 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
  • 1 cup of your favorite marinara sauce

First, preheat your oven to 450 degrees and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.

Next, combine your breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese in a bowl and brush olive oil onto the chicken. Dip the chicken into the breadcrumb mixture to thoroughly coat and then place on the baking sheet.

Bake for twenty minutes, turn the chicken over, and then bake for an additional five.

Next, spoon your marinara sauce on top of the chicken and top with the mozzarella cheese. Bake for five more minutes. This chicken is delicious and thoroughly satisfies your Italian food craving. Happy Eating!