Avocado Coleslaw

By on August 10, 2014

I have a joke for you, readers. A girl avocado asks her husband avocado, “Do I look fat?” To which the husband replies, “Yes. But the good fat!”

Avocados are considered “good” fats: monounsaturated fats. Monounsaturated fats are fats that contain a double bond, meaning they have one unsaturated carbon molecule. We need to ingest more of these “good” fats because they can be beneficial for heart health by lowering cholesterol and can help prevent heart disease and stroke.

Now why am I all aboard the avocado train? Because lately I’ve found out about how useful avocados are. I’ve been putting them in everything. My salads are more exciting, my pasta dishes are creamier, and my sandwiches have a climactic twist to them now.

So yes, these little green orbs have enchanted my heart and my tummy. I wrote an article last year about how you can replace mayonnaise with avocados, and the reaction I received was surprising to say the least.

I’ve had several people pitch me new recipes that are kicked up a notch (Thanks, Emeril) by replacing the binding ingredient with avocado. It makes me so happy to see other people so passionate about their health and meal choices. Even the tiniest changes can improve your health and make you feel better. So I went through all of the possible recipes I could make with avocados and hit the jackpot.

Living in the south, I’ve always had a love for really good coleslaw. I’m not talking Chik-Fil-A coleslaw or Dreamland coleslaw, either. I’m talking “made with grandma’s love and served with a kiss” coleslaw.

Coleslaw that not only looks pretty but serves a flavor so powerful and delicious that you have to store it in the Hunger Memory Bank so you can savor it forever.

But, sadly, the key binding ingredient in coleslaw is usually mayonnaise. So I decided to take a leap of faith and try our state’s second favorite side dish (potato salad, you know I’ll never stop loving you) with avocados. Thanks to www.familyspice.com I can enjoy my coleslaw happily and guilt free. I’d also like to add that this recipe contains cider vinegar which has a whole set of health and beauty benefits to its name.
What You’ll Need

• 1 avocado
  • ½ cup cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons ground mustard
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
  • ½ head of cabbage, shredded

First, puree the first 8 ingredients in a blender.

Then, slowly pour the olive oil into the blender and blend the oil and pureed ingredients together until the dressing starts to whip and emulsify.

Now take your dressing and combine it with the shredded cabbage.

Allow the salad to sit for 5-10 minutes prior to serving but serve with your favorite entrée and enjoy.

Happy Eating!